Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 2

We had another good day today aboard Whatcha Gonna Do. The watches seem to be working with me taking the 7 pm to midnight-ish shift while Barb sleeps and then Barb takes the midnight to 5 am shift while I sleep and then I pick it up again at 5 am. She seems to like midnight to 5 am timeframe so I am happy to sleep then. We've actually been getting a good amount of sleep.

Today when I woke and walked the boat I counted six flying fish that had flown aboard as well as one squid! This evening as I write, we have a yellow footed boobie sitting on our solar panels free riding -- does it know we are going to the south pacific?

The big excitement for today was fishing. We caught a shark -- guessing it was about 6 feet. What an amazing fight we had bringing it to the boat. Once we had it by the boat I was trying to think of a way to get our squid lure back (not the hook -- I was not going to go that close to it) when the line broke. With the fight we had with it I am surprised the line did not break sooner!

Other than that we did home school, prepared meals, fixed some chaffing on a line and hoisted our screecher (big white sail for use in lighter winds).

Today we sailed 159 nautical miles averaging 6.6 knots! As I write this we are doing about 8.5 knots though heading more west then south west to try to get to the trade winds.

Michael -- somewhere in the pacific
-----
At 4/12/2011 02:55 (utc) our position was 17°22.32'N 110°11.98'W

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great start - and you seem quite relaxed, even with catching a shark! Thanks for the update - we keep tracking your position so as not to lose sight of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want to know what you were going to do once you got the shark on board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to track you but even better to hear from you guys. Can you relate better to the first explorers? I hope you'll tell us what it's like not to see land for days on end...
    Amazing! We miss you all lots! xox

    ReplyDelete