Monday, August 22, 2011

The Beginning of Time

We crossed the international dateline this afternoon at 172.5 degrees West and in an instant, today became tomorrow, from Saturday August 20 to Sunday August 21. Quite an interesting concept. And notwithstanding our loving threats, Danielle is relieved that it didn't occur on her birthday which is now only a day away.

We are expecting to make landfall on Vava'u in Tonga in the morning. It will be just over 7 days (or 8 if you count the day we left behind today) and except for an 18 hour period early in the passage of rough seas and high winds, it's been a relatively nice sail - and nothing has broken (unless you count my computer which completely died beyond Michael's patient saving on the first day). Several other boats have not been so lucky: a lost rudder, an engine that won't start, a lost shroud. Things breaking on a boat are inevitable, and we've been quite lucky with only needing minor repairs. This boat has been taking care of us for nearly two years now and I am grateful. She's been more than our home. Whatcha Gonna Do protects us as we go. It will be bittersweet when she's sold.

I've always loved passages, but for the first time I have been feeling a bit bored. Okay, really I've been feeling stir crazy. I finished 3 and a half books and can't read another thing. We've played all the games we have (I'm still the reigning champion of Mexican Train). I've done so many sudokus and logic games that my mind is mush. Our art projects have been depleted. We don't have enough battery power to watch movies or work on the photo albums (electronic photos) which are on Michael's computer, and now that we've lost my computer to computer heaven, we don't want to overwork Michael's as it contains all the electronic charts that we need for navigation. In the meantime, my watch schedule has me sleeping for most of the morning daylight, so I have only from about 11 a.m. until after dinner with M and the kids. I'm still taking the midnight to 5 or 6 a.m. shift.

-Barb in tomorrow
-----
At 8/21/2011 13:24 (utc) our position was 18°24.20'S 173°11.81'W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment